Applications are now open for the second BUZZ Artists’ Lab Form and Aesthetics of Co-creative Work with Young People at Theater Bremen in Bremen, Germany, from 14 – 19 October 2022.
These international exchanges will be a unique opportunity to learn, share and develop your professional practice with other artists and cultural leaders from across Europe. Artists Labs are for professional directors and artists who create performance work with young people, each Artists’ Lab will focus on a different topic in contemporary youth theatre practice.
This five-day programme will offer professional youth theatre artists the chance to explore what makes an outstanding performance. Asking:
- what themes and aesthetic impulses do we see reflected?
- what are we missing?
- what do we need more of to ensure that we are continuing to evolve and challenge ourselves and our practice?
Working alongside a number of German artists who are known for their extraordinary aesthetic style, the participants will take part in workshops and also be invited to see and discuss several performances at Theater Bremen and meet the creative teams.
Applications will be open from 11 July 2022 – 19 August 2022.
What will happen during the Artists’ Lab?
- Theater Bremen with its Youth Theatre Company “Junge Akteur*innen” will be the central hub and host for Lab participants. The Participants will get to know this unique organisation well through performances and collaborations throughout the week.
- Participants will take part in a series of workshops with remarkable German youth theatre makers, to gain an insight in their practice and discuss various approaches and aesthetic decisions. Including choreographer Birgit Freitag, who developed several award winning performances with non-professional young dancers.
- Participants will also have enough space to gain insights into their work, methods and best practices via workshops, debates and presentations in peer-to-peer groups.
- High quality insights into international youth theatre best practice across Europe.
- Exploring the diversity of youth theatre practice across Europe, through peer-to-peer learning and group work.
- Developing your artistic and professional practice, broadening your network and increasing your confidence of working internationally.
- Travel, accommodation and meals throughout the lab will be provided, where required.
Who will take part?
Up to 17 artists from across Europe will be selected for this training opportunity:
- Two artists from each of Scotland, Ireland, Belgium & Norway will be selected.
- Four artists from Germany will be selected.
- There will be five places available for artists applying from elsewhere in Europe.
Applicants will be selected who meet the eligibility criteria outlined below.
Training Labs are open to theatre artists who:
- Create work with young people.
- Want to develop their artistic practice and can demonstrate how the opportunity to work internationally will enhance this.
- Can demonstrate how the Lab’s theme Form and Aesthetics of Co-creative Work with Young People will be of particular benefit to their practice.
- Are able to attend all dates of the Lab between 14 – 19 October 2022 in Bremen, Germany. (Additional travel days may be required.)
- Are based in the European Union, or another eligible country, including the UK. More details here.
How to Apply
To apply to take part in the BUZZ Artist Lab complete the application form, linked here, by 12pm (CEST) on Fri 19 August 2022. You will be informed of the outcome of your application by Fri 26 August 2022.