Lyra is looking to commission two experienced Artists to create two new artworks for the 2024 Bright & Wild festival. The commissions will be selected by and created in collaboration with the children taking part in their Wednesday Young Artist (age 7-9) and Thursday Young Artist (age 9-11) groups.
Lyra’s 2023/24 programming theme is ‘Face the Dragon’. Artists are invited to be inspired by this provocation and pitch an idea for a new work that responds to the theme. (Read more about ‘Face the Dragon’ in the Call Out document on their website).
EACH COMMISSION INCLUDES:
– Lead Artist fee of £4,800
– A budget of £1,500 for materials and collaborators
– Free theatre, studio and hot desk space at Lyra
– Facilitator and Youth Arts Worker to support the sessions and collaborate with.
– Producer support, dramaturgical support and creative mentoring.
– Opportunities to share the progress of your work with invited audiences and industry professionals.
The successful Artist(s) will deliver weekly sessions with the Performing Arts group after school on either Wednesday or Thursday from October 2023 – May 2024. The standard weekly call time is 2.15pm – 6pm (including briefing and debrief).
Additionally, there will be one induction day, two intensive rehearsal days and four days in production week. (30 days total at £160 per day). The final performances will be presented in the w/c 20 May 2024. (See the call out document for full schedule)
HOW TO APPLY
Stage One: Tell Us About You and Outline Your Idea
Please submit the following to email@example.com by 8 September 2023 at midday (revised deadline)
– your CV
– three examples of your work to date (they welcome you to include images/web links)
– your commission proposal. This should be no more than three minutes of audio/visual footage. Please send a link to a file transfer service or online video sharing website.
Stage Two: Pitch Your Idea to the Young Artists
Applicants shortlisted by the young people in Stage One, will be invited to lead a practical workshop with the Young Artists, where they will have the opportunity to pitch their idea. (Applicants will be paid for this workshop).
The Young Artists will vote for their preferred idea after the practical workshops. Workshops will take place on the afternoon of Wed 20 September 2023.
They are also currently advertising for a Dance Commission; for more information about these roles click here: www.lyra.co.uk/workwithus