Evaluating Arts and Cultural Projects is a well-established course from QMU’s popular Arts, Festival and Cultural Managment programme and is approved as a standalone micro-credential short course (20 credits). A limited number of FREE places are available now for arts and cultural sector professionals who live and work in Scotland.
This course will introduce you to the core principles and practices of project management and marketing. You will be encouraged to consider how these approaches may need to be adapted to better respond to the specificities of cultural projects.
On completion, participants will be able to:
• appraise the principles and practices of project management and marketing;
• adapt the principles and practices of project management and marketing in order to plan the effective delivery of cultural events;
• interrogate the prevalence and diversity of ways in which cultural projects are managed and marketed;
• make use of practical project management tools such as: Statement of Works; Work Breakdown Structures; Network Diagrams; Gantt Charts; Stakeholder Maps; Risk Matrix; Budgets; Timelines; Cash Flows; and
• make use of practical marketing tools such as: Marketing Mix; Product and Purpose; Audience Segmentation; Pricing Strategies; Digital Marketing; Audience Development; Visual Campaigning; Evaluation.
Starting in January 2024, the course is taught in-person in QMU’s campus in Musselburgh with one class (two – three hours) each week for 10 weeks. You will also be expected to set aside three – five hours a week to undertake self-study, collaborate with other students online, and prepare assignments.
You will be studying these topics at Master’s level, and you will likely hold an undergraduate degree. Relevant professional experience that supports study at this level is also accepted.
Who is this course for?
The course is relevant for anyone whose role requires them to plan, project manage, and promote cultural projects.
How will you be assessed?
There are two assessments – 2000-word critical essay AND a group project and marketing plan for a cultural project.
Who will be teaching you?
The course is led by specialist tutor, Professor Rebecca Finkel.
For further information, please contact ILO@qmu.ac.uk (Nicky Orr) or visit https://www.qmu.ac.uk/study-here/short-courses/short-courses/planning-and-marketing-cultural-projects/