Would you like the opportunity to learn how to direct your own street theatre show? Surge are offering an opportunity for a theatre maker who lives in Inverclyde.
You will shadow and be mentored by Alan Richardson, Surge’s Director and gain practical experience during Surge’s street theatre project with Inverclyde Youth Theatre (Kayos) and the Beacon Young Company in 2024, which aims to develop a brand new street theatre show with the groups. You will then assist Alan to support the performers to hold a showing of their new act at the Comet Festival and the Gourock Garden Party in June.
Who can take part?
– You should be over 16 years old and have some experience of directing, theatre making or creating work (either indoors or outdoors);
– You should be interested in learning how to direct outdoor theatre;
– You should have an interest in working with community performers;
– No directing experience is required, although we are looking for someone who has good communication skills and is enthusiastic and approachable;
– You should live in the Inverclyde area.
What will the Trainee Street Theatre Director be involved in?
– You will attend a training session via zoom in the lead-up to the project. This will explore initial ideas for the performances, and effective planning and delivery of workshops and rehearsals;
– You will assist Alan to support the group to devise the new act and you will shadow Alan through this process;
– You will have the chance to lead break-out groups of performers and a warm-up session with support from Alan;
– You will assist in managing the maintenance and storage of the costumes and props;
Four evenings during the workshop phase at Beacon Arts Centre (rehearsals will run on a Tuesday evening 7pm-9pm): 5, 12, 19 and 26 March 2024.
Two days dress rehearsal: Tue 21 – Wed 22 May 2024, 4pm-8pm at Creative Minds Festival, The Beacon
One evening dress rehearsal: Fri 14 June 2024, 7pm-9pm at The Beacon
One day at the in Gourock Garden Party: Sat 15 June 2024
One day at the Comet Festival, Port Glasgow: Sat 22 June 2024
What They Will Provide:
£900 bursary stipend on completion of all of the above project dates;
Travel expenses if you live 20 miles outwith the project.
How to Apply
Send in a CV or Bio with a paragraph about why you would like to take part in this opportunity.
Deadline to apply is Thu 1 February 2024, 5pm
Interviews will be held via zoom on Thu 8 February 2024